This simple and comforting cheeseburger pie has savory ground beef and onions that’s layered with a simple batter and topped with melted cheddar cheese. An easy weeknight casserole that the family will love!
I am feeling very victorious right now. Anytime I find a new easy dinner recipe to add to the rotation I just feel like shouting out about it from the top of a mountain. “Cheeseburger Pie for everyone!!” (Except not really because we ate it all.)
I would like to take a moment to express how badly I needed a victory to happen this week, even though that victory is just a piece of pie. First, I split a quart of vegetable oil all over my kitchen floor. This was last Monday. Then, I proceeded to knock over my tripod, and smash my camera and lens to pieces. Both of them ruined in an instant. You better believe that there were many tears shed over my prized camera equipment.
Then, we found out that we had a carpenter ant infestation. In our toddlers bedroom. No big deal.
So needless to say, I needed something to comfort my soul this week, and this meal did just that. And if you don’t have Bisquick on hand to make this recipe, fear not. I have a solution. Read on, my friends.
Homemade Bisquick Substitute:
- ½ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons cold butter
Instructions: Mix the flour, baking soda, sugar, and salt together in a medium bowl until well combined. Use a pastry cutter (or food process) to work in the cold butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
You should also try these!
- Slow Cooker Cheeseburger Soup
- Hamburger Soup
- Instant Pot Hamburger Helper
- Instant Pot Spaghetti and Meat Sauce
So I think that you should keep cooking with me from here on out. Just join my free recipe email list and boom. We’ll be pals for life and you’ll get a weekly email with my brand new recipes!
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 lb. ground beef, I use 85% lean
- Salt/pepper, to taste
- ½ cup Bisquick, see notes for substitute
- 1 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Add the olive oil to a large pan over medium heat. Once heated, add the onions and cook until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the ground beef. Cook and crumble the beef until it’s browed and cooked through. Drain any excess grease.
- Mix the Bisquick with the egg and milk until well-combined.
- Spread the ground beef mixture in an even layer on the bottom of a pie pan. Layer the Bisquick mixture over the ground beef, then top with cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, for 25 minutes, until the cheese is melted and begins to brown slightly.
- Remove from the oven and let the pie cool/set for about 5 minutes, then slice and serve!