HOLY MOLY PEOPLE I’VE DONE IT! This is the BEST soup EVER!!!!! I made it completely basic because there are too many other things you could add and I couldn’t decide! I also figured that it’s more fun to choose your own add-ons 🙂 Things like…. broccoli, potatoes, chicken, cauliflower, bacon, carrots, peppers, pasta, spinach, different cheeses, sausage, and the list goes ON! For that reason I guarantee you’ll be making this recipe a LOT. I can’t wait to try different variations! Please share your ideas!!! 🙂
PS- I’d try it in a homemade breadbowl too, DE-lightful.
- ½ stick butter
- 1 cup finely chopped onions
- ¼ cup flour
- 3 cups chicken broth (low sodium may be best)
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 heaping cup Velveeta cheese, cut into cubes.
- Add butter and onions to a large soup pot (3 quarts) and cook on medium-low heat until onions are very soft (about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally)
- Whisk in flour until well combined.
- Add chicken broth and whisk. Increase heat to a boil and continue to stir, it should thicken as it cooks.
- Once it reaches a boil, add the milk and continue to stir. Reduce heat to a simmer.
- Take ¼ of soup at a time and combine in a blender at medium speed, until well combined. (You’ll need another pot to transfer the soup to after it’s blended)
- Return soup to soup pot and gradually add the cheese, whisking with a fork as you do so until well combined. Simmer, covered, for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve, nice and hot! With some bread maybe? PERFECTO.
- Additional ingredient options: Broccoli, potatoes, chicken, cauliflower, bacon, carrots, peppers, pasta, spinach, different cheeses, sausage
*This post may contain affiliate links