Baked Beef or Chicken Tacos
TACO TUESDAYYYYYYY- (or Taco any day) is the BEST. I’m currently a little obsessed with Mexican food, every Friday my huzzz and I have been going to this new Mexican restaurant and I just want to EVERY DAY now! But since I GUESS that’s not feasible, (wahhhh) making it at home is a pretty decent option ; ) They’re easy on the wallet, and take no time to make. PERFECT for busy weeknights. But what I love about them the most is how *crunchy* they are, they TOTALLY stay together every time I make them, I’ve never had one break. I was actually throwing these around as I was taking pictures of them and they didn’t break at ALL, even after being handled and after sitting on a bed of lettuce for a bit. THAT, is why I love them : ) I like to bake a little bit of cheese on the bottom first to help it stay extra crunchy, it provides a barrier between that crunchy taco shell and then next layer (which I choose to be sour cream, followed by the ridiculously delicious meat filling) And with that, I think there’s no doubt that you should probably make this your next weekday meal 😉
- 1 pound ground beef (Can substitute chicken if you’d like!)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ⅔ cups water
- (1 oz.) packet Taco Seasoning
- 1 (15oz.) can black beans
- ¾ cup chunky salsa
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- 2 cups Mexican Cheese
- 10 Hard Taco Shells (*I prefer to get the “stand n’ stuff” kind so they’re easier to stand)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add ground beef, garlic, and onions (or shredded chicken) and cook on medium for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add ⅔ cup water and 1 packet taco seasoning and continue to cook for additional 10 minutes.
- Add ½ black beans and salsa, combining into mixture.
- Stand hard taco shells in baking dish, (I used a 9x9 inch dish and was able to fit 7) .
- Sprinkle the bottom with a little cheese. Place in the oven for about 6 minutes. This lets the cheese cook slightly and provides a barrier between the shell and the filling, which makes them stay extra crunchy!
- Remove from the oven, and place a dabble of sour cream on top of the cheese. Finally, fill generously with beef mixture, (spreading sour cream around the bottom as you do so) & top with more cheese 🙂
- Bake for approximately 10 minutes, after which point, check on them often.
- Remove from heat once cooked as desired. Carefully remove with spatula and place on serving plate.
- Serve with remaining sour cream and black beans! You can also serve with additional salsa, guacamole, rice, or any other favorite Mexican sides!
*This post may contain affiliate links