Avocado Bacon and Eggs
I have an avocado SITUATION going on. I’m obsessed with it. There are so many flippin’ things you can make with it! (Um hello, my last post, Avocado stuffed tacos ? Did you SEE it?!)
I’m allowed to make a stupid confession here right? This is a judgement-free zone? Like Planet Fitness? (Except we don’t work out here, we just eat a lot.) Alright. Here goes: I thought that avocados were a vegetable.
I didn’t THINK about it okay?! Now I see… I see why it’s a fruit, I do. I just didn’t think about it as one. I think of fruits as being sweet.
Now that I got that off my chest. I’ll also admit that I’ve had a little egg obsession going on lately too. Eggs in French toast, in hash cups, bacon cups, on a burger, in a waffle iron… and now, in a freakin’ avocado.
This isn’t like a revolutionary idea, it’s been done before, plenty of times, but that doesn’t make it any less awesome. Actually my friend Tracy just made some of her own too- I could stare at these things all day long.
Are you an Avocado lover?! I never used to be! I was scared of them. Take guacamole. I wasn’t exactly thrilled to dip a chip into green mushy stuff. But for some reason I did one day, and now I can’t get enough of the stuff. In fact I’m putting together a recipe roundup of different avocado recipes! (If you have one you’d like to share, hit me!)
So I’ll leave you with this. If you want to justify eating lots and lots of avocado, just look at these facts:
-They contain even more potassium than bananas (this helps support healthy blood pressure levels)
-Avocados are loaded with fiber, which helps with weight loss and metabolic health.
-They help many heart disease risk factors (which is the *most common* cause of death in the WORLD) Examples include lowering cholesterol levels, reducing blood triglycerides, and more)
-They help you absorb nutrients from plants, and they’re loaded with antioxidants that keep your eyes healthy.
-There are SOOOO many more healthy facts that you can find here
- 1 Avocado, sliced vertically in half
- 2 eggs
- Salt/Pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 slices thick cut bacon, cooked and crumbled
- ⅛ cup scallions, diced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove the pit from the sliced avocado and scoop out a slightly larger hole in the middle. (Hint: slice a little bit off the bottom of the Avocado to make it sit flat!)
- Crack the egg on a flat surface so as not to push the shell up inside of it.
- Drop the egg in the middle of the avocado, top with salt/pepper as desired and place in the oven for about 15 minutes.
- Remove the avocado, top with cheese and cooked bacon, and place back in the oven until the cheese is melted.
- Remove from the oven, top with scallions, and enjoy this amazingly delicious breakfast!
*This post may contain affiliate links