Spinach and Feta Meatballs
Tender meatballs filled with creamy Feta and spinach with hints of dried cranberry. Sprinkled with parsley and dipped in Tahini sauce, this will quickly become your new favorite meatball recipe.
This article said it best: “Meatballs are an inexpensive blank canvas” – I couldn’t agree more. I was brainstorming meatballs ideas ALL DAY on Friday… (I’m a very complex person.) So we had a little meatballs taste-testing sesh on Friday night… (Hey, that’s my idea of a good time and I don’t care.) The cheese was undecided factor. We tried Parmesan, Asiago, and Feta. UMMMMM… Feta won by a LANDSLIDE. Which is funny because I thought that one would come in last. I thought it might be too intense. Turns out, the feta factor gives these meatballs a perfectly creamy taste and texture that will knock you OVER. We dipped these in homemade Tahini sauce (recipe here)- and it was a home run, I’m telling you.
The cranberries, were an accident. (I know, how can dried cranberries happen by accident?!) My Stuffing mix was the culprit- or in this case, the hero. There were little bits of dried cranberries in there and HOLY MOLY- they add a sweet, fruity little offset against the creamy spinach & feta that is to-die-for. I’ve made the concrete decision that it isn’t an optional ingredient. (I’m pointing my finger) Even if you have everything else in the house to make these RIGHT NOW- if you don’t have the cranberries, you’ve gotta make a store run. And no one hates store runs more than I do, but take it from me. It’s worth it. Even if you’re in your comfy pants with the hole in them that you won’t remember has a hole in them until you’re at the store… just do it.
I’m sharing these on What’s Cookin’ Wednesday!
- 1 (5oz.) bag fresh spinach, steamed, drained, and cooled
- 1 lb. ground beef (80% lean, 20% fat)
- ¾ cup Stuffing Mix
- 1 egg
- 1 Tablespoons chicken broth (can sub water)
- ⅛ cup dried cranberries
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small onion: VERY finely diced.
- 2 Tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ¾ cup Feta cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Gently mix all ingredients together until well combined. Use an ice cream scoop to gently scoop meatballs. Wet your hands with water or oil and form balls. (Be gentle to keep moister intact.)
- Place meatballs in the fridge to get cool before placing in the oven- You don’t want the fat/oils to break down before they start cooking.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 8 minutes. Rotate them and place back in the oven for 8-10 more minutes.
- Serve plain, in a sandwich, with pasta, or with Tahini sauce!