Maple Waffle Chicken Nuggets
Once I dared the hubs to go through the McDonald’s drive thru and preface all of the food with with “Mc”- I thought it was the FUNNIET thing ever. (I still do, because… I am a child.)
“Can I please have a McCheese-Mcburger with Medium McFries, and a McCoke?” BAHAHAA. I don’t know. Maybe my mom dropped me on my head when I was little… who knows. But I think it’s funny.
Welp, Mickey D’s WISHES they had these nuggets. Maybe they’ll see this post and be enlightened by their maple waffley deliciousness. What a genius recipe. The batter tastes like a maple waffle, and you dip it into a maple/honey/honey mustard sauce … oh dear lord. Help us all. I mean really.
I’m thinking this has to go onto your “MAKE ASAP” Pinterest board. I have one of those. It’s a secret board (for real. It’s hidden from the world, mwahahaha).
So yeah- you’ve got some batter to make, I know you’re only half listening to me now, I can’t blame you. The same thing happens to me when I think about food. Like right now you’re wondering if you have to go to the store for the ingredients… or if you have what you need already. One thing I didn’t have was real maple syrup (OUCH)…. I know. I live in New Hampshire, and I had no Maple Syrup on hand. My fellow New Hampshire-ers, I’m sorry. I know. But my point is that I made these with store bought, fake, sell-out maple syrup. Good Ol’ Mrs. Butterworth I believe. And it worked out just fine- so you can do that too. I won’t judge.
……………I know……. so stinkin’ good looking right?!
Recipe source: HostTheToast.com
- For the Waffle Nuggets:
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into small chunks
- Vegetable oil, for frying, plus ½ cup for the batter
- 2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour, plus 2 tablespoons for dusting
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1⅓ cups milk
- ⅓ - ½ cup maple syrup (depending on how much maple taste you want in the nuggets)
- 2 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the Dip:
- 1 part honey
- 1 part maple syrup
- 1 part honey mustard
- Separate the egg yolks and whites and place in separate bowls. Beat the yolks. Whip the egg whites vigorously until they’re stiff- this takes about 15 minutes.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a large bowl. In a separate smaller bowl, combine ½ cup of vegetable oil, milk, egg yolks, vanilla, and maple syrup.
- Pour the wet mixture into the middle of the flour mixture and stir until combined. Fold in the egg white and mix but don’t overdo it, you want the egg whites to maintain their stiff texture.
- Heat oil in a high-walled skillet (I used a dutch oven) over medium-high heat.
- To see if the oil is ready, test it by dipping the end of a wood spoon into the oil. It’s ready if the oil bubbles around it after a few seconds.
- Lightly coat the chicken in flour, then dip in the batter. Use two forks to gently lift the chicken up (without poking it) and drop it delicately into the oil. You may need to do this in batches.
- Fry the chicken until it’s a nice golden brown all the way around. This took about 15 minutes for me but keep a close eye on it. Adjust the temperature of the oil as needed so that the chicken cooks gradually, and not too fast.
- Drain the nuggets on a paper towel when removed from the oil.
- Serve with dipping sauce and watch these puppies disappear 😉