Loaded Mexican Salad with Cilantro Lime Dressing
“Let’s have Mexican Salad tonight!”- just a little text from the hubs that had me at the grocery store within minutes. Filling up my basket with chicken, lettuce, avocados, and the works! When that Mexican craving strikes, it’s hard to get rid of it until I load up on something like this. The best part about it? It’s completely healthy! It’s packed with protein and vegetables- and everything you need to make sure that your body can completely absorb that protein. A little olive oil and avocado and your body can get the absolute most out of those greens, tomatoes, and whatever other veggies you throw in there. And it will keep you content for hours. I love giant salads that I can munch on for long periods of time without feeling bad : ) Quite the opposite, it makes you feel really good. It reminds me of summer too, which I really need right now with all of this snow we’ve been getting. (grrr…)
The chicken brings so much flavor to this salad- that was my hubs’ favorite part. The cilantro lime dressing is delicious too, I mixed extra dressing in with the corn, and onions and peppers – which I heated on my griddle along with the black beans and chicken, then let it cool back down before tossing in with the salad. Making something like this on a big ol’ griddle is just fun. Makes you feel like a pro, yo. 😎
- 1 large chicken breast, cut into strips
- 2 Tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional, omit if you don’t like spice)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons cilantro, minced
- 1 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons Lime Juice
- ½ cup frozen corn
- ½ cup black beans, drained
- ¼ cup diced red or green bell pepper
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- 1 heaping cup romaine lettuce, cleaned
- ½ cup shredded Mexican or cheddar cheese
- ½ cup diced tomatoes
- ½ cup diced cucumbers
- 1 avocado, diced
- ¾ cup cilantro
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons Lime juice
- 1 Tablespoon garlic, minced
- Take chicken strips and coat with dry seasonings. Then add the cilantro, oil and lime juice and mix until well combined. Let it marinade for at least 20 minutes. Then use a griddle or large pan on medium heat to cook the chicken, about 25-20 minutes. When finished, set aside.
- Use the same griddle/pan and heat the corn, onions, peppers, & black beans for a few minutes. (I drizzled a bit of the salad dressing on them separately.)- Set aside.
- Add all ingredients to a food processor and combine until well processed.
- Combined all ingredients onto a large serving plate and drizzle with salad dressing.