Hawaiian BBQ Bacon Cheeseburger
So I’ve spent the last 3+ months complaining about how long this past NH winter was, (I mean, it was seriously LONGGGG….) and aside from that, it gets dark at like 4:00. How’s a girl supposed to take food blog pics in the dark?! So I suppose now that summer is here, it’d be wrong for me to complain about the heat. But the thing is…how’s a girl supposed to cook stuff for her food blog without using her kitchen?! (Well at least without using the oven or stove.)
Luckily, I’m actually finding lots of great summer recipes, and thank god for grills. Not only does a grill eliminate using the oven in the hot summer heat, but it makes everything taste so much better-and with this recipe, the pineapples taste especially delicious when charred up on the grill. I was surprised at how well they cooked when put right on there- I thought they might burn right away but they actually cook nice and evenly. It’s definitely my new favorite way to enjoy pineapples.
Burgers such a popular summer staple, but the trick is finding different ways to make them. When I heard the words, ‘Hawaiian BBQ Bacon Burger’… I knew I had to text Mark about it right away. I grabbed my phone, only to find a text from him: “Let’s grill tonight!” Well, he may have beat me to the punch, but I upped the ante. Burger party it is!
I recommend getting good quality, thick cut bacon for this-I’ve come to find that it doesn’t quite pay off to buy the cheap stuff; you end up with a lot more fat and so much less meat. You can put the cooked bacon slices right on the burger, or chop it up and mix it in with the BBQ sauce. The sauce itself is best if it’s a bit tangy, my friend Tracy @Scratch It Cook makes some great BBQ sauce from Scratch.
So at the end of the day, you’re left with a savory bacon cheeseburger that’s tangy & sweet- perfect for summertime! For healthier alternatives try a veggie or turkey burger with turkey bacon- you may also omit the cheese ; )
If you’re looking for other delicious recipes for the grill, Chicken Satay recipe has one of the best marinades I’ve ever tried- it’s a pineapple, peanut butter, soy sauce combo that’s to die for. My Cheesy Honey Mustard Chicken isn’t so bad on the grill either 😉 Finally, one my vegetables of choice on the grill is Cheesy Jalapeño Zucchini, (I’m slightly obsessed with cheese.) What’s your favorite grilling creation? One of my next endeavors will be grilled pizza- mmmmm : )
- 1 pound ground beef
- ½ cup BBQ Sauce
- 6 slices bacon, cooked
- 4 slices Cheese (Velveeta, Cheddar, American, or Swiss)
- 1 (8oz.) can pineapple slices in pineapple juice (contains 4 slices)
- Mold ground beef into four burger patties and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper
- Cook on grill or stovetop until it’s nearly reached your desired level of doneness. About halfway through, add your pineapple to the grill. Flip the pineapple once the bottom begins to char.
- Brush each burger generously with BBQ Sauce. Top with bacon slices, cheese, and pineapple.
- Serve on a bun with some savory sides 😉 (We chose grilled corn, zucchini, and baked potatoes!) You may also serve with additional BBQ sauce for dipping!
Recipe adapted from: Health-Bent