Orzo, what a magical little creation! These little rice-shaped pasta pieces are a perfect base for pasta salad. I love the way they absorb the flavor of the Greek Salad dressing. I made a giant bowl of this stuff earlier this week and it’s already gone, my husband took it to work every day and my one year old ate the rest (Yes, she eats anything and everything. Like mother like daughter.) I had no choice but to whip up another batch to keep in the fridge. Of course this is perfect for taking to parties as well (4th of July cookouts, anyone!?)
I personally like diving into the olive bar at the grocery store- they tend to have a great mix of different types of olives and sometimes some savory feta cheese as well. I went for a mix of Kalamata and green olives, (sometimes they have roasted red peppers you can throw in there as well!) You could even take an Italian route as opposed to Greek and throw in some balls of mozzarella cheese and maybe a pepperoni or two 😉
What are your 4th of July plans this year?! I hope you all have a safe, happy, healthy, fun-filled holiday!
- 1 cup uncooked Orzo pasta
- ½ cup Greek Salad Dressing (can sub Italian)
- ¾ cup sliced olives (kalamata, black, green, or a combo of all 3.)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1.5 cups diced cucumber
- ¾ cup sliced red onion
- 1 heaping cup crumbled Feta cheese
- Cook the Orzo according to package instructions. Drain, and pour into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the salad dressing and stir to coat evenly.
- Use a rubber spatula to gently mix in the other ingredients until well combined.
- Chill for a minimum of 30 minutes before serving.
Want to make your own Feta Dressing?
- ¾ cup olive oil
- ½ cup diced onion
- 1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
- ⅓ cup crumbled feta
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ⅓ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 4-5 pitted Kalamata olives
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Heat the oil in a skillet on medium heat. Add the onions and cook until softened, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for an additional 2 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Add the onion mixture along with all of the other ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Chill for a minimum of 30 minutes.
Feta Dressing Recipe adapted from Foodnetwork