Nothing beats a delicious meal right out of the crock pot, and BBQ pulled pork sandwiches have summer BBQ written ALLLL over it. This is a super easy way to feed a crowd too, and you can avoid using the oven on those hot summer days. I always like throwing out the option of making this a little bit trickier by making your own homemade BBQ sauce- my friend Tracy has the BEST recipe, and easy to follow pictures too If time isn’t on your side, or you simply prefer an easier option, Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ Sauce is great as well. Get yourself some fresh rolls and you’ve got a ridiculously easy and super-tasty meal!
- 3 to 4 pounds boneless pork shoulder (boneless pork loin works well too)
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon hickory flavored liquid smoke (near the BBQ Sauce at the store)
- 2 cups barbecue sauce
- Rinse the pork shoulder and pat dry. Rub salt and pepper over the pork and place in a slow cooker. Add water and liquid smoke. Cook on low setting for 8 to 10 hours, until the pork is very tender.
- Remove the pork from the slow cooker and discard the remaining liquid. Shred the pork using a couple of forks. Place the meat back in the slow cooker along with the barbecue sauce and continue to cook for another 20-30 minutes until the pork is hot again. Serve on buns with extra barbecue sauce.
Recipe adapted from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe