Nothing beats a delicious meal right out of the crock pot, and BBQ pulled pork sandwiches have summer BBQ written ALLLL over it. This is a super easy way to feed a crowd too, and you can avoid using the oven on those hot summer days. I always like throwing out the option of making this a little bit trickier by making your own homemade BBQ sauce– my friend Tracy has the BEST recipe, and easy to follow pictures too 😉 If time isn’t on your side, or you simply prefer an easier option, Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ Sauce is great as well. Get yourself some fresh rolls and you’ve got a ridiculously easy and super-tasty meal!
- 3 to 4 pounds boneless pork shoulder (boneless pork loin works well too)
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon hickory flavored liquid smoke (near the BBQ Sauce at the store)
- 2 cups barbecue sauce
- Rinse the pork shoulder and pat dry. Rub salt and pepper over the pork and place in a slow cooker. Add water and liquid smoke. Cook on low setting for 8 to 10 hours, until the pork is very tender.
- Remove the pork from the slow cooker and discard the remaining liquid. Shred the pork using a couple of forks. Place the meat back in the slow cooker along with the barbecue sauce and continue to cook for another 20-30 minutes until the pork is hot again. Serve on buns with extra barbecue sauce.
Recipe adapted from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe