I’m pssyyyccchhheed! I’ve just updated this recipe and NOW… it’s chinese chicken finger perfection. Whenever I order Chinese food, it’s a serious struggle. I want like everything on the menu, but I can only pick a few things. And that ends up being kindddd of impossible. Chicken fingers are always a must though- right? Right. That part is easy. But they take up a precious slot, leaving me with very little selections left. So I’ve SOLVED this problem. I’m telling you…. Right now….the 100% truth when I say I’d rather each these homemade Chinese chicken fingers than the ones that they deliver.
Why are these the best, you ask?
#1- By the time the chicken fingers get to me, they’ve lost their crunch. They’re packed in a box next to other hot things and the condensation makes them moist, and then that crunch is gone- FOREVER. (Dramatic? Yes. True though? Yes.) Now, the homemade ones?
They’re probably the crunchiest most delicious golden bites of pure chicken goodness that I’ve ever had.
(err.. I don’t think that’s a real sentence.) Moving right along…
#2- Real Chicken. No mystery meat. ‘Nuff said on that one.
#3- They take no time to make.
#4- They’re less expensive.
#5- You can still order Chinese food, without using up a slot/spending money for the chicken fingers, make those at home!
So what’s the secret? Right now I’m thinking it’s the self-rising flour in these bad boys that does the trick. It makes the outside thick, yet crispy. It’s just perfect.
- 1 large chicken breast, cut into strips
- ¼ cup self-rising flour
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- ½ cup of water
- 1 pinch salt
- Sift dry ingredients together in a large bowl and mix them until well combined.
- Slowly add the water and mix thoroughly, (don't add too much, but I did use all of it)- it should be a very thick batter.
- Sprinkle the chicken with salt and douse into the batter, mixing thoroughly so each piece is well-covered. Drop into a preheated deep fryer and cook for about 6-10 minutes, until a nice golden brown. They will be white for a while before they turn brown and start to look like real chicken fingers, have faith!
- Serve with duck sauce- see?! PERFECTION!
PS- pair this with some Crab Rangoon- you simply must 🙂