Crispy chicken tossed in a tangy buffalo sauce, wrapped in a cool lettuce wrap and topped with crunchy carrot slices and dabs of chunky blue cheese.
So yeah, I guess it wouldn’t kill me to eat low-carb once in a while… and this buffalo chicken is loaded with so much flavor, who needs a regular wrap? The crunch of these cool lettuce wraps is actually way better, it is a perfect offset to that tangy buffalo sauce. This was the first time that I’ve ever used corn flakes (okay actually frosted flakes because that’s all I had), to “bread” the chicken, and it was actually super-duper delicious and crunchy, and since their baked, you don’t even have to feel bad!
I’ve gotta give it to Marie’s Blue Cheese too- it’s by far the best. It’s in the produce section with the refrigerated salad dressings, you have to try it if you haven’t already- the closest you’ll ever get to restaurant blue cheese. And I’m not even paid to say that folks, not even paid to say it.
If you’re not a buffalo chicken fan, you can use all kinds of sauces for this chicken. (Baked honey BBQ sauce, for example- the recipe for that is in the notes!) For an added crunch with that sauce you could use sliced almonds or even sesame seeds!
The best part about ending a food “photo shoot” … is the moment I finally get to pick up the food, and take a BIG OL’ BITE….. this was purely magical… CRUNCH.
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- ½ teaspoon seasoned salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 cup flour
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- 5 cups crushed corn flakes*
- 1 stick butter
- 1 cup Frank's Red Hot Sauce
- 2 teaspoons Cayenne
- 1 medium head iceburg lettuce, separated into lettuce leaves
- ⅓ cup julienne carrots
- 3 sticks of celery, cut into thirds to garnish
- ½ cup chunky blue cheese (Marie's is a great brand, in the refigerated section)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Lightly coat a baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside.
- Mix the seasonings together in a medium bowl and toss in the chicken, coating evenly.
- Add the flour to the bowl and coat the chicken in it.
- Mix the eggs and milk together in a small bowl, and dip each piece of chicken into it, removing them quickly.
- Finally, coat each piece of chicken in the crushed corn flakes, and set them on the baking pan.
- Bake the chicken for about 18 minutes, flipping them over about halfway through.
- As the chicken bakes, melt the stick of butter in a saucepan and add the hot sauce and cayenne. Mix until well combined.
- Use tongs to toss the chicken into the buffalo sauce, mix around gently until well coated and place on a side plate.
- Place 4-5 chicken pieces onto the center of a lettuce leaf and drizzle with blue cheese.
- Top with the julienned carrots and serve with a side of celery.
Easy Honey BBQ Sauce
3/4 cup your favorite BBQ sauce
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup ketchup
Chicken coating & alternative sauce recipe source: Sally’s Baking Addiction