Buffalo Chicken Chili is the way to my hubby’s heart. Buffalo chicken, and chili, are his favorite things EVER. (Well, aside from crab legs. I think those go first.) 😯
I’d never done it before but figure it couldn’t be that far off from regular chili, you just sub the ground beef for shredded buffalo chicken, throw in some buffalo sauce, black beans, bell peppers, and anything else that you like in your chili. Sprinkle a little cheese on top, maybe a dab of sour cream and a sprinkling of chives and you have heaven in a BOWL. This meal is so perfect for a cold Sunday night… or during the football game…
The cream cheese in this dish really helps to thicken the sauce and of course, adds a bit more creaminess to it. The key is to make sure it is at room temperature when you add it. Otherwise it makes the sauce grainy, and doesn’t dissolve well. It’s amazing what a difference the temperature makes. But boy is it good. I liked spicing this up a bit too with some chili powder, a few red pepper flakes, and ground cumin- which gives it a slight hint of smoky flavor.
I like to simmer chili for a long time, slowly and surely. It gives the flavors a real chance to blend together, and the sauce gets nice and thick. Let the aroma fill your house and enjoy the process.
What are your favorite chili ingredients?
I’ve heard of throwing in some avocado, Jalapenos, kidney beans, hot sauce, salsa, maybe topping it with some crunchy tortilla chips… I love endless options 😀
Buffalo Chicken ChiliServes: 6 servingsIngredients
- 2 large boneless chicken breasts (equivalent to about 2 lbs.) – Cooked & Shredded
- 1 cup buffalo sauce
- 1 tablespoons flour
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- ½ cup bell peppers, diced
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes in sauce, lightly drained
- 2 (8 oz.) cans tomato sauce
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1-2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 heaping Tablespoons of cream cheese at room temperature.
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained & rinsed
- 2 pinches red pepper flakes
- 1-2 teaspoon chili powder (2 if you like it spicier)
- 1 teaspoon dried onion flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt/pepper to tasteInstructions
- To cook the chicken, place the breasts in warm water and boil lightly until no longer pink when you cut in the middle. (About 25 minutes). Drain from the water and place on a plate. Using two forks, pull the chicken apart to shred it. Then coat it thoroughly with the buffalo sauce. Finally, sprinkle it all over with flour and mix thoroughly. Set the chicken aside for now.
- In a large pot or deep skillet, heat the olive oil on medium heat and add the onions. Cook until the onions are translucent, stirring occasionally- about 20 minutes. Add the garlic and pepper and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and chicken broth. Simmer, uncovered, for about 20 minutes.
- Add 1 Tablespoon of tomato paste and cream cheese and stir until well combined. The cream cheese has to be at room temperature for it to melt smoothly into the sauce- otherwise it can create a grainy consistency. If you would like a thicker sauce, add an additional Tablespoon of tomato paste at this time- but remember that the flour on the buffalo chicken will also thicken things up!
- Add the spices and stir in the shredded buffalo chicken. Finally, add the black beans. Continue to simmer until the entire mixture is nice and warm.NotesOptional toppings: Shredded cheese, sour cream, scallions, tortilla chip pieces, or Fritos!3.5.3226