Baked Potato Soup
Let me start out by saying that it was all I could do to take this picture without eating all of the soup first. I’d spoon the soup into the bowl and then take like 30 bites for myself in between, it was a little pathetic. The recipe is very easy, and truly comforting. If you’re feeling a little adventurous, you should definitely use homemade chicken stock from scratch. My friend Tracy is an expert when it comes to making things from scratch and using her stock in this soup is absolutely perfect. I’m planning on adding some bacon into my next batch but I felt like keeping it basic this time around. After the LONG NH winter we’ve had, I never thought I’d be thankful for a cool day again- but I was today, it was perfect soup weather! 🙂
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups peeled and cubed potatoes
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 shallot, minced
- ½ teaspoon seasoning salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 1 (8 oz) packages cream cheese, cut into chunks
- Optional- Crumbled bacon pieces : ) (cooked)
- Cook onion and olive oil on low heat for 10-15 minutes, until onions are soft.
- Add in shallot and saute for about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, the potatoes, and the spices.
- Cook on medium heat until potatoes are tender (About 20-25minutes)
- Break apart/mash just a few of the potatoes- the starch will cause the soup to thicken.
- Reduce to low heat & add cream cheese.
- Heat, stirring frequently, until cheese melts
- Adjust seasonings to your personal preference!
Recipe adapted from BakeSpace.com